5th Anniversary

It's actually a couple more weeks until I have my 5th anniversary 
on Illimite' but since I will be at sea I thought I would do my anniversary 
post a little early.  We have just raised anchor and are heading for Alaska.  
We plan to make landfall at Kodiak Island after sailing about 4000 nautical miles. 
 This should take about 5 weeks for us to do


The red path on the above map is the first five years.
  We were planning on being in Japan right now but we instead hung out 
for 2 months in Guam "sheltering in place".
We have also been waiting on the stormy season to calm down in Alaska
The yellow is the plan for year 6.  (Assuming Canada and Mexico have their borders open)
Should intercept our previous path in French Polynesia this time next year.
If borders are still closed because of Covid -19 we will most likely winter over in Alaska or Seattle 

Planning our trip to Alaska had required us to pay attention to the lows coming off the Bering Sea such as this one below.  We will have to alter our course as we go to stay below the lows and above the highs.  I download GRIB files like this one every day or so using the sat phone
The northern storms die down in May but the southern typhoons pick up in June!
I will also be getting input from a professional weather router to help avoid storms

This North Pacific passage will be the longest we have done and maybe the roughest.

Illimite' I think has enough food for a year.  Just when I think we are done,
Noelle buys another dinghy load of food!!  
All needed repairs are done so I think Illimite' will hold up well


So far Illimite' has traveled 43800 nautical miles, visited 33 countries,
and met uncountable numbers of amazing people!
At the rate we are going we should be back in Florida in 3-4 years!


Comments

  1. Wow! I'm so happy you are fulfilling your dream, not many people actually get to. Oh the stories you can tell! I would love to hear some of them! Take care heading to Alaska. Enjoy the journey.
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing journey cousin! Keep the Lord near your sails!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment